Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Unschooling??

OK - I really hate to use the terminology "unschooling" because so many people have pre-conceived ideas that are not necessarily true.  I've labeled us "eclectic" but more in truth we truly unschool.  I've found a great support group on Facebook that has helped me overcome my shyness about admitting we truly do unschool.

Here is a great post on "Is unschooling right for your family?"

To give you an idea what we are doing - here we go:

So right now my youngest isn't much of a reader but has recently started reading Percy Jackson - The Lightning Thief and looking forward to reading Guardians of Ga'Hoole series.  She loves watching Pirates of Caribbean.  Recently picked up books on Walt Disney (the man) and wants to know more about the person who created Mickey Mouse, etc.

My oldest loves to read and is working on "The Silver Chair" by CS Lewis since her goal is to read all his books on Narnia.  She just finished reading "The Fairies Return" by Gail Carson Levine. 

I just printed off fraction worksheets since my youngest was teaching herself to play piano and had questions on note values which led to discussions on fractions.  So they wanted to learn more about fractions.   My oldest wanted to learn more about clouds so I printed a worksheet packet from School Express about clouds.

We are reading together, Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little by Peggy Gifford for a book discussion group later this week.

For science we will be working out of an awesome book called "Exploratopia."  Which is a great book that teaches science by doing and I can't wait to share it with my girls.

So we may not be following the public school curriculum outline we are learning lots of stuff but in a non-traditional way. 

1 comment:

School Papers said...

I read your post After reading I have a better understanding of the article. Nice share. Thanks